Run an application as administrator, run under system account, run as service or run as different user
Set program privileges instead of user rights and limit administrator privileges on selected applications.
RunAsRob offers four fundamentally different methods to start a program with other privileges than the logged on user.
A limited user can temporarily moved into the local administrator group, only for the authorized application.
RunAsRob can start the privileged application with system account. This account has even more local privileges as an administrator.
A further variation is run as service, to launch the program after Windows is booted and before a user logs in.
The fourth option is running software as different user, like the command runas, but with the possibility to pass the password encrypted.
Another benefit of RunAsRob is the possibility to authorize a folder from where you can start applications with administrator privileges.
By that wide range of possibilities and with integrated features of folder rights, user groups, organisational units, group policies and monitoring,
you create a very effective, cheap and clear privileged access management PAM to limit administrator rights.
Spectrum of possibilities
- Authorize program files or folders, which can use from a limited user to run software as administrator.
- Distribute software, updates, patches, drivers,... by simply copying the update file on a network share you have authorized in RunAsRob and user can run it as admin from there.
- Give only a specific program administrator rights instead of a whole user account.
- Delegate administrative tasks to users by authorizing the specific job.
- Manage all allowed application files, folders and directories in a domain central by group policies, organisational units and ntfs folder rights. RunAsRob harmonized very well with windows.
- Bypass the windows UAC dialog for a script or an application.
- A script and a program can run as system account via RunAsRob, a system account has more system privileges than an administrator.
So you can get access to all system folders like backup folder, Recycle.Bin, every user profile,….
- Run application as admin with the own profile and setting of the limitied user account.
In other runas utilities it is just possible to run as administrator by using another account.
- Wildcard asterisk * and environment variable like %windir% are possible to authorize a relative directory or program path.
- You don't credentials of an admin account in an encrypted file or elsewhere to start a program with administrator rights.
The authorization and login information are controlled by registry, NTFS folder permissions and a system service.
- Run as service an application or a script with system privileges after system boot, whether a user is logged in or not.
- RunAsRob can effective and easy used on a local client, in a small windows network or in a large domain environment, because it's clearly designed.
Each part of RunAsRob can execute a selected program with other rights and has its advantages, according to usage.
For an installation, task, system command or a script which need highest privileges,
use the part >> run as admin << with the login option >> as system << (1).
An account without a user profile, but with the most rights on a local machine. Even more rights than an administrator, with access to each system or profile folder and so much privileges, that you can bypass the UAC Dialog.
For software you need the environment of the user like network drives, printers, application settings,...
should be use the part >> run as admin << with login option >> as administrator << (2).
Monitoring, copy jobs, file updates and other jobs you want to execute immediately after windows boot with highest privileges,
whether a user logs in or not, can use the part run as >> service << (3).
If you want to run a program with the rights of another user account or
if you need to transfer certain rights of one application to another computer, on which RunAsRob isn't installed,
take the option >> run as another user << (4).
Run as another user is portable and need no installation, because it comes with an encrypted file you store the credentials for the selected application.
RunAsRob contains three parts with four options:
Run as admin and run as system (1 + 2) >>>
Run as service (3) >>>
Run as different user (4) >>>
RunAsRob details, differences, FAQs:
RunAsRob details >>>
For any suggestions, errors, questions, specific requirements or adjustments please contact:
RunasRob is only free for private use.
For companies and other organisations we deliver a licensed version, registered to the organisation name.
Order RunasRob >>>
Download RunasRob >>>